The Church of St George is a Roman Catholic church sitting high on a hill above the Slovenian port town of Piran on the Adriatic Coast. Considered one of the most impressive churches in Slovenia, it is also one of the most important landmarks in Piran, visible from Tartini Square in the center of town. Dating to the 14th century, it was reconstructed in the early 17th century in a Venetian Renaissance style. Around the same time, a bell tower was added that was modeled after St. Mark’s Campanile in Venice, followed a few years later by a Baroque style baptistery.
Visitors should look for two sculptures of St George within the church, a larger one by an unknown artist and a smaller, silver plated sculpture made by a goldsmith workshop in Piran. Also of note are two large paintings from the early 17th century, several marble altars that were added in 1737 and interior frescoes that were restored in 2002-2005. The ground floor of the sacristy displays a variety of religious objects, as well as a wooden model representing an earlier version of the church. In front of the church is a large lawn that was once a graveyard. Today, it offers superb views over the Bay of Trieste and the town of Piran.
The town of Piran is accessible by bus, but not by train. Buses run regularly between Piran and Izola, Koper and Trieste and a free shuttle connects the town to Potoroz. From the center of town, walk to the church. The church is about a 10 minute walk from Tartini Square. The inner hall of the church is accessible only during mass.