Torre del Oro
It’s hard to miss the Torre del Oro, especially as you stroll along the river or head to the nearby Alcázar of Seville. Inside, a naval museum includes a collection of navigational charts and replica models of famous ships such as the Santa Maria. You can also climb the spiral staircase to the top for expansive views of this Spanish city.
Given its importance to the city and central location, the Torre del Oro is a frequent stop on tours of all kinds, including bike, Segway, bus, and walking tours. Most of these excursions also visit top Seville attractions such as the Bullring of the Royal Maestranza and Royal Alcázar Palace. Boat tours also pass by its riverside location.
Things to Know Before You Go
A photo stop in front of Torre del Oro is a must for any visitor to Seville; maritime buffs will want to pay the small fee to walk through the museum.
A narrow, winding staircase must be climbed to reach the top.
How to Get There
The Torre del Oro is unmistakable on the Seville landscape. It’s located at Paseo de Cristóbal Colón, at the bridge over the Guadalquivir River. The tower is easy to reach on foot or by city rental bike. There is limited metered parking nearby. The nearest bus stop is Paseo Colón.
When to Get There
Torre del Oro is open to visitors daily, except during holidays. There is a small entrance fee, but it is free to visit on Mondays.
Behind the Name
The meaning of the name Torre del Oro, or Golden Tower, remains somewhat of a mystery. Some believe it is a reference to what was once the gold-tiled exterior of the tower, while others say it refers to the city’s status as a dropping point for gold delivery from the New World. It may also simply refer to the tower’s golden reflection on the Rio Guadalquivir, especially striking at sunset.
- Things to do in Andalucia
- Things to do in Cádiz
- Things to do in Cordoba
- Things to do in Benahavis
- Things to do in Marbella
- Things to do in Tarifa
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Faro
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Lisbon
- Things to do in Fez
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Costa del Sol
- Things to do in The Algarve
- Palace of San Telmo (Palacio de San Telmo)
- El Arenal District
- Seville Church of Santa Ana (Iglesia de Santa Ana)
- General Archive of the Indies (Archivo General de Indias)
- Seville Bullring (Plaza de Toros de la Maestranza de Cabellería de Sevilla)
- Royal Alcázar of Seville (Real Alcázar de Sevilla)
- Seville Cathedral (Catedral de Santa María de la Sede)
- Royal Tobacco Factory (Real Fábrica de Tabacos)
- The Giralda (El Giraldillo)
- Barrio Santa Cruz
- Santa Cruz
- Seville Opera (Sevilla de Opera)
- Hospital de los Venerables
- Inquisition Museum (Museo Del Castillo De San Jorge)