St. Petersburg Palace Square (Dvortsovaya Ploshchad) Tours
Palace Square was also the setting for some of Russia’s most significant historical events including the Bolshevik Revolution of 1917 and the 1905 massacre Bloody Sunday, where peaceful protesters were gunned down while trying to present Tsar Nicholas II with a petition .
Although the buildings surrounding the square were built in different eras, they were all built to scale, giving the square a beauty in symmetry.
The square is a single architectural ensemble, in the northern boundary is the Winter Palace, to the south the General Staff building, a two story arch mounted by the chariot of victory, and installed in the center is the 156 feet (47.5 m) high and 500 ton granite Alexander Column. It also connects key city areas such as Nevsky Prospekt and Palace bridge, which leads into Vasilievsky Island.
As Palace Square is considered one of the biggest hubs in the city, it is easily accessible by the metro to Admiralty and by other modes of transportation at Nevsky Prospekt.
227 Tours and Activities to Experience St. Petersburg Palace Square (Dvortsovaya Ploshchad)
St Petersburg 2 Day Top-Guided Optimized Mini-Group Tour Introducing The Best of the City And Its Suburbs
Frequently Asked Questions
- 2-Day Group Shore Excursion in St Petersburg with Faberge Museum & Boat Cruise
- 2-Day St. Petersburg City and Local Culture Shore Excursion in a Small Group
- St Petersburg 2 Day Top-Guided Optimized Mini-Group Tour Introducing The Best of the City And Its Suburbs
- St. Petersburg Walking City Tour
Things to do near St Petersburg
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Moscow
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Kaunas
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Luosto
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Nizhny Novgorod
- Things to do in Volga Region
- Things to do in Central Norway
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Sloboda Ukraine region