Get picked up from the hotel lobby by minivan and travel overland to Ao Luk district in the north of Krabi. Enjoy the spectacular landscape with impressing limestone cliffs and small rural villages along the way.
The destination is Bor Thor, one of the first settlements in Southern Thailand. It is a small coastal village with rich archeological treasures, artefacts and cave paintings. After arrival at the pier, you will get kayak and safety instructions from your local guide.
Start paddling down the backwater of the Marui river on a sit-on-top kayak (2 / 3 seater), passing local fishermen, to reach the vast cavern of Pee Hua Toh also known as “Big-headed Ghost Cave”. This cave has provided shelter to humans for thousands of years. Explore the ancient paintings and pictographs found inside. Then make your way through the cave's numerous grottos until you arrive at a viewpoint overlooking the mangrove forest and sprawling ocean.
Continue paddling to Tham Lod Tai, a “secret passage” through a rock tunnel dotted with stalactites. The next highlight is Tham Khao Wong, another rock tunnel heading into the karst, this time ending in a quiet lagoon at the center of the mountain, formed thousands of years ago when a cave roof collapsed. The total kayaking time is around 2 hours - not including stops.
Take a break for lunch in the riverside restaurant at Bor Thor pier, with Thai food served “family-style” – sharing several dishes with rice.
In the afternoon continue to the crystal clear freshwater stream of Long Klong Sra Kaew near Nai Sa Village. The gentle waterways surrounded by big trees are perfect for taking a refreshing swim about 300 meters in the jungle to enjoy the natural surrounding.
Note that although it is easier if all passengers on the kayak paddle, only one person actually needs to paddle, so children or less fit people can sit as passengers with an able adult and in this case no paddle guide will be required. Kayaks are available as 2 or 3 seaters.
• 08:00 - 09:00: Hotel pickup in Krabi
• 09:00 - 09:30: Meet the crew at the pier in Bor Thor
• 09:30 - 10:00: Get paddle and safety instructions from the guide
• 10:00 - 10:40: Start paddling down the backwater of the Marui river
• 10:40 - 11:20: Discover the ancient paintings of Pee Hua Toh Cave by foot
• 11:20 - 12:00: Explore Lod Nua Cave with stalactites
• 12:00 - 12:45: Kayak through Tham Kao Wong into a stunning lagoon
• 12:45 - 13:15: Head back to the pier
• 13:15 - 14:00: Enjoy lunch in a local restaurant in Bor Thor
• 14:00 - 15:00: Visit the fresh water canal of Long Klong Sra Kaew
• 15:00 - 15:30: Transfer back to the hotel