Azraq Castle (Qasr al-Azraq)
Located about an hour east of Amman, Azraq Castle (Qasr al-Azraq) is a desert fortress created by the Romans back in 300 AD, although the structure in its current form was built in 1237 by the Mamelukes. The exact location of Qasr al-Azraq (meaning Blue Castle) in the center of the Azraq Oasis was chosen strategically; this area is the only water source in over 7,000 square miles. One of Azraq Castle's striking features is its color – the local basalt gives it an atypical black hue, which is where it’s believed the fortress gets its name, as it can appear blueish at certain times. Flanking an expansive courtyard and mosque are long walls with inspiring towers, and the site’s huge door is a sight on its own; the structure is made completely of heavy stone (hinges included) and can be a challenge to open. The whole thing weighs three tons.
While the design is impressive, most visitors head to Azraq Castle to learn about Thomas Edward Lawrence (also known as Lawrence of Arabia) and Sherif Hussain bin Ali, who stayed in the fortress during the winter of 1917 when the Arab Revolt against the Turks went on. Lawrence wrote about staying at Azraq Castle in his book,Seven Pillars of Wisdom, and more can be learned from the movie,Lawrence of Arabia. Visitors to the fortress can see the room he stayed in here.
What are Azraq Castle (Qasr al-Azraq) hours of operation?
What's the best way to experience Azraq Castle (Qasr al-Azraq)?
- Private Tour: Desert Castle Tour of Eastern Jordan from Amman
- Private Tour: Full-Day Islamic Desert Castles and Ajloun Castle Trip from Amman
- Jordan Horizons Tours: Eastern Desert Castles Half Day Trip from Amman
- Jordan Horizons Tours: Desert Castles, Shaumari Reserve & Azraq Trip from Amman
Things to do near Amman
- Things to do in Madaba
- Things to do in Sweimah
- Things to do in Jerusalem
- Things to do in Bethlehem
- Things to do in Herzliya
- Things to do in Tel Aviv
- Things to do in Petra
- Things to do in Beirut
- Things to do in Eilat
- Things to do in Aqaba
- Things to do in Suez
- Things to do in Sharm el Sheikh
- Things to do in West Bank
- Things to do in Famagusta District
- Things to do in Red Sea