Maya Archaeology Museum (Museo de Arqueología Maya)
Exhibits from ritual artifacts to the objects of daily life are presented alongside interpretive signs in Spanish and (sometimes) English here. A convenient location on the main square of Copan Ruinas makes it easy to duck in for a short visit; most travelers spend under an hour checking out the collection. If you’re planning to visit the exquisite Mayan Ruins of Copan, this museum offers some details that can be lacking at the bigger site.
Things to Know Before You Go
- This is a great spot for Maya art lovers. One stela here is the original of a replica on display at the Mayan Ruins of Copan.
- Don’t miss exhibits on the Maya calendar, which explain the culture’s complex time-keeping.
- Plan to wear comfortable clothing, as most of the museum is not air-conditioned.
How to Get There
Located on the western edge of the main square in Copan Ruinas, the museum is at the corner of Calle de la Plaza and Avenida Centroamericano. If you’re coming from the visitor center located on Calle 18 Conejo, it’s just a few blocks’ walk away. Otherwise, taxis and mototaxis are plentiful; plan to negotiate a price prior to departure.
When to Get There
The Maya archaeology Museum is open daily. While Copan Ruinas is a year-round destination, dry weather from December through April make these months a popular time to visit. Expect humid weather, higher temperatures, and sometimes afternoon downpours from May through November.
Things to Do in the Town of Copan Ruinas The ancient ruins are the main attraction in Copan Ruinas, but there are several key sites in the town center, too. Find kid-friendly history at the nearby Casa K’inich Museum, whose exhibits are more interactive than those at the Maya Archaeology Museum. Another interesting stop is The Tea & Chocolate Place. Despite the name, it’s not a café but a visitor center with information on native plants and medicinal teas.
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Santa Ana
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in La Libertad
- Things to do in Acajutla
- Things to do in Tegucigalpa
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Flores
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands
- Things to do in Petén