St Joseph’s Cathedral (Nha Tho Lon)
Constructed between 1882 and 1886, St. Joseph’s Cathedral was consecrated on Christmas Eve, 1886. It was built on the site of the ancient Bao Thien Pagoda, which was demolished to make way for the church. It’s known for its soaring façade, twin bell towers, and a majestic interior with rib-vaulted ceiling, original stained glass windows, and elaborate altars. Although mostly European in design and look, there are some traditional Vietnamese decorations on the aisles, walls, and altars of the church. Mass is held several times a day, and is often crowded to overcapacity; those that wish to attend should consult the schedule that is sometimes posted outside the church.
A number of sightseeing tours will feature a stop at St. Joseph’s Cathedral, along with other attractions like the Temple of Literature and Hoan Kiem Lake, and may include additional activities like a cyclo ride, a food tour, or a water puppet show.
Things to Know Before You Go
It’s free to enter the church, though donations are accepted.
Enter through the side door, rather than the main entrance, except for mass.
Mass is performed in Vietnamese and French.
This is an active place of worship, so please be respectful of worshippers.
How to Get There
St. Joseph’s Cathedral is located west of Hoan Kiem Lake, and can be easily reached on foot from most of central Hanoi. It’s easiest to take a taxi from elsewhere in Hanoi. Local buses, including buses 1 and 2, also stop nearby.
When to Get There
The church’s opening hours tend to fluctuate, though it’s often closed for lunch. Services are performed throughout the week and weekend. The Feast of St. Joseph is celebrated on March 19. Christmas is a festive time to visit the church, and will have the biggest crowds.
There are a number of boutiques, restaurants, and bars near the church. Hoan Kiem Lake is also nearby. This scenic lake is pleasant to walk around, and is home to Ngoc Son Temple, located on Jade Island, at the northern part of the lake.
- Things to do in Northern Vietnam
- Things to do in Halong Bay
- Things to do in Nanning
- Things to do in Luang Prabang
- Things to do in Vientiane
- Things to do in Sanya
- Things to do in Kunming
- Things to do in Hue
- Things to do in Da Nang
- Things to do in Guiyang
- Things to do in My Son
- Things to do in Yangshuo
- Things to do in Chiang Rai
- Things to do in Guangxi
- Things to do in Southern China
- Lake of the Restored Sword (Hoan Kiem Lake)
- Temple of the Jade Mountain (Ngoc Son Temple)
- Hoa Lo Prison
- Thang Long Water Puppet Theatre
- Ambassador’s Pagoda (Chua Quan Su)
- Vietnamese Women’s Museum
- Hanoi Ancient House
- Hanoi Old Quarter
- Vietnam Museum of Revolution
- Dong Xuan Market
- Vietnam Military History Museum
- Hanoi Opera House (Nha Hat Lon)
- Vietnam National Museum of History
- Vietnam National Fine Arts Museum (Bao Tang My Thuat)
- Long Bien Bridge (Cau Long Bien)