The Bronze Horseman is a statue of Peter the Great on a horse. Catherine the Great had the statue built in the late 1700s to honor Peter the Great as the founder of the city of St. Petersburg. She commissioned the French sculptor Etienne-Maurice Falconet who had spent a long time studying the movements of horsemen on reared mounts. The horse stands on a rock meant to represent a cliff. This huge block of granite weighs more than 1,600 tons and took more than nine months to transport from the Gulf of Finland.
Visitors can still see an inscription on the stone that says "to Peter the First from Catherine the Second” in Latin on one side and in Russian on the other side. The statue faces west to represent Peter “leading Russia forward” because he drew inspiration from countries in the west. Legend has it that St Petersburg can never be taken by enemy forces as long as the statue remains standing in Senatskaya Square. You will often see newlyweds having their wedding photos taken in front of the statue.
Browse. Filter. Book.
St Petersburg 2 Day Top-Guided Optimized Mini-Group Tour Introducing The Best of the City And Its Suburbs
2 Day Top-Guided Mini-Group Shore Excursion Introducing The Best of Saint-Petersburg And Its Surroundings
Should I book Bronze Horseman tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Bronze Horseman 2020?
What's the best way to experience Bronze Horseman?
- 2-Day St. Petersburg City and Local Culture Shore Excursion in a Small Group
- Mini-Group 2-Day Shore Excursion of St Petersburg Must-Sees and Boat Cruise
- St Petersburg 2 Day Top-Guided Optimized Mini-Group Tour Introducing The Best of the City And Its Suburbs
- 2 Day Top-Guided Mini-Group Shore Excursion Introducing The Best of Saint-Petersburg And Its Surroundings
Things to do near St Petersburg
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Moscow
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Kaunas
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Luosto
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Nizhny Novgorod
- Things to do in Volga Region
- Things to do in Central Norway
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Sloboda Ukraine region