The largest privately-owned castle in Wales, Pembroke Castle has a rich royal and political past. Redeveloped by William Marshal in the 12th century before being somewhat restored in the mid-20th century, it has served for generations as the seat of the Earls of Pembroke. Now visitors can learn about the fascinating history of the Castle through independent exploration of the exhibition halls or during a guided tour, before scaling the Great Keep and venturing into the underground Paleolithic cavern known as The Wogan.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Plan to spend around two hours exploring Pembroke Castle.
- Pembroke Castle typically offers at least one free guided tour per day. Check schedules online in advance.
- There’s an onsite gift shop and café.
- Pembroke Castle is dog friendly and children aged 3 and under enter for free.
- Due to the historical nature of Pembroke Castle, only ground-level attractions are accessible to wheelchair users.
How to Get There
Pembroke Castle is situated in Pembrokeshire, West Wales. Most visitors find it easiest to arrive by private vehicle, following signs for Pembroke. Public parking is available nearby. Pembroke Castle is also located just a 15-minute walk from Pembroke train station and bus routes 348, 349, and 356 stop directly outside the castle.
When to Get There
Pembroke Castle is generally open year-round, from mid-morning until the late afternoon, except for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and New Year’s Day. Guided tours typically run at least once daily. Check exact opening hours and schedules before visiting.
Things to do in Pembrokeshire Walkers, nature lovers, and families in particular should spend a few days exploring the county of Pembrokeshire, one of the most picturesque parts of Wales. Visit St David’s, the smallest city in the United Kingdom, stop by the Victorian seaside town of Tenby and take a boat out to Caldey Island, before taking advantage of the expansive Pembrokeshire Coast National Park.
- Things to do in Cardiff
- Things to do in Devon
- Things to do in Bristol
- Things to do in Plymouth
- Things to do in Bath
- Things to do in Caernarfon
- Things to do in Cornwall
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Oxford
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in South West England
- Things to do in South East Ireland
- Things to do in West Midlands