Mt. Salak (Gunung Salak)
There is a small fee to enter Halimun Salak National Park, payable in cash on arrival, with additional fees to climb Mt. Salak and visit individual waterfalls such as 3-tiered Curug Nangka.
Most visit Mt. Salak as a day trip either from Jakarta or, less frequently, from Bogor. Some Jakarta private guides can handle the logistics required for the summit, and most will be happy negotiating the waterfall hikes. Alternatively, look for a tour company based in Bogor or ask at the national park office.
Things to Know Before You Go
Nature lovers will enjoy the unspoiled forest on the slopes of Mt. Salak.
Bring modest swimwear to appreciate the waterfalls. West Java is a conservative culture.
Wear sturdy footwear if hiking on Mt. Salak proper. The path is steep and slippery in places.
How to Get There
Mt. Salak sits within Halimun Salak National Park, about an hour’s drive south of Bogor. While it’s possible to reach the park by public transport from Bogor—take the green number 3 minivan to the Curug Nangka entrance—it is much easier to explore with your own wheels or on a tour.
When to Get There
As with everywhere in West Java, Mt. Salak and the national park are at their busiest over Lebaran, the holiday period at the end of the Islamic fasting month of Ramadan, while the waterfalls can get crowded on weekends. Few visitors attempt the summit at any time of year.
Nature on Mt. Salak
Despite the populous presence of Jakarta, Halimun-Salak National Park is home to Java’s largest remaining area of rain forest. Unusual creatures that frequent these lush lands include the Javan leopard, Javan langur, and Javan gibbon, plus slow loris and hawk-eagles. If wildlife spotting is a focus, arrange a guide, either online or at the park office.
- Things to do in Jakarta
- Things to do in East Java
- Things to do in Bali
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Things to do in Banyuwangi
- Things to do in Seminyak
- Things to do in Kuta
- Things to do in Jimbaran
- Things to do in Ubud
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Sabah
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam
- Things to do in South Coast
- Bogor Botanical Gardens (Kebun Raya Bogor)
- Taman Safari Bogor (Bogor Safari Park)
- Gunung Mas Tea Gardens (Perkebunan Teh Gunung Mas)
- Taman Mini Indonesia Indah (Beautiful Indonesia in Miniature Park)
- Pejaten Village
- KidZania Jakarta
- Jalan Surabaya Market (Pasar Antik Jalan Surabaya)
- National Museum
- Indonesia National Monument (Monas)
- Glodok (Jakarta Chinatown)
- Museum Wayang (Puppet Museum)
- Fatahillah Square (Taman Fatahillah)
- Sunda Kelapa (Jakarta Old Port)
- Ancol Dreamland (Taman Impian Ancol)