Things to Do & Must-See Attractions in Yarra Valley
- The legal drinking age of 18 applies to all wine tasting in Yarra Valley.
- Most Yarra Valley wineries do not have a dress code, but smart-casual dress is required at the region’s high-end restaurants.
- Cellular service can vary throughout Yarra Valley, but free Wi-Fi is available at visitor information centers.
- Sunscreen, plenty of water, and comfortable shoes are musts if you plan on walking through the vineyards.
- Many Yarra Valley wineries are wheelchair accessible, although vineyard tours may not be, so it’s best to check in advance.
Lush greenery and rolling hills dotted with twisting vines create a picturesque backdrop for sipping some of Yarra Valley’s finest wines. Rochford Wines, located just an hour’s drive from Melbourne, offers first-class vino, a top-notch culinary experience and panoramic views of the iconic Great Dividing Ranges. Meander through the winery’s sprawling vistas to visit the on-site art gallery and retail shop. Try a tasting from Rochford’s cellar door or dine at the winery’s award-winning restaurant Isabella’s at Rochford. An oasis of natural beauty located in the heart of Victoria’s wine country, Rochford is known for hosting a range of events, concerts and functions. The winery boasts activities to suit all tastes— from hot air ballooning and segway tours to wine and cheese pairings.
Tucked into the serene and picturesque Yarra Valley of Victoria, the Dominique Portet Winery is renowned for its deep roots in French soil — Bordeaux to be exact. The art of winemaking has been passed down through the Portet lineage from 18th century France; a father and son duo (ninth and 10th generation) run this winery with experience that spans around the world. The modest space boasts an array of wines in a comfortable, Mediterranean-style setting. Get lost among the sprawling vines, or relax with a glass surrounded by oak barrels at Dominique Portet. Enjoy tastings from the cellar door, learn more about the Portet history and culture with a vintage tour, or stay for a leisurely lunch overlooking the valley.
The warm and rustic family‐run Fergusson Winery is a standout in Victoria’s Yarra Valley. Set among 20 acres of rolling hills and lush greenery, the winery features classic French grape varieties and a restaurant with a Paris-trained master chef. Enjoy a crisp chardonnay while indulging in the renowned spit roast at the Fergusson Restaurant, then spend the afternoon simply drinking in the view while listening to live music. Fergusson Winery also offers cooking classes so visitors can get their culinary skills up to snuff, plus wine appreciation courses. Can’t get enough? Stay overnight at the Fergusson Homestead Bed and Breakfast.
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Great Ocean Road
- Things to do in Burnie
- Things to do in Hobart
- Things to do in Port Arthur
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Adelaide
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in New South Wales