Are you interested in?
- Private walking tour of Athens' classic Ottoman and Roman monuments
- See the ancient Agora, the site which was developed in 6th century BC
- Soak up the sights and smells of the colorful oriental food and spice near Avyssinias Square
- Enjoy privileged, personalized attention from your guide on this special private walking tour
Departure & Return
Departure time : 9:30 AM - Please be at the meeting point 15 min. prior to given departure time (if you would like to arrange a different departure time, please notify us accordingly at the time of booking) Inside the Syntagma Metro Station, next to the ticket validating machines, underneath the hanging clock. The tour guide or office representative will be holding an orange colored sign to identify them.
After conclusion of the visit to the Museum of Attalos, your guide will depart, leaving you to enjoy and further explore the site and the old part of the city.
What To Expect
Showcasing some of the finds excavated in the area, this fascinating space displays some interesting ancient artifacts. View the age-old remains of burial tombs, a 2,000-year-old beehive and the remnants of Roman mosaics believed to date to the 5th century BC.
Then, stroll to nearby Mitropoleos Square, home to Athens Cathedral. This ornate church was built in 1862 and is the seat of the archbishop of the city’s Greek Orthodox Church.
Continue from here into Monastiraki, a buzzing neighborhood of shop-filled lanes. Wander through the flea market and view Ottoman-era buildings such as the Tzistarakis Mosque and Fethiye Mosque. Delve deep into the Plaka, where a tangle of paved lanes make up the heart of Athens Old Town. See the Doorway of the Medrese, the entrance to a former Turkish theological school; and take photos of the remaining columns of Hadrian’s Library, built by the Emperor Hadrian in 132 AD.
Head into the Agora, the site of the commercial, political and social heart of ancient Athens. Inspect the ruins with your guide as you hear how the area was developed in the 6th century BC. View the Tower of the Winds that served as the forum’s timepiece, and visit the archaeological museum in the Stoa of Attalos, the now-reconstructed ancient shopping hall.
Afterward, make your way through Avyssinias Square to Athinas Street. Soak up the aromas and colors of the food and spice markets and end your tour here when you say goodbye to your guide.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- The Covid19 Measures set by the Greek Government frequently change. Thus, it is advisable to check local restrictions applicable to indoor and outdoor activities.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Athens Walking Tours
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms