Iceland is home to over half of the world’s Atlantic puffin population, with colonies found everywhere—from the rugged sea cliffs in the south to the remote islands of the Westfjords. Puffin tours run from Reykjavik along Iceland’s south coast, or Husavik on Iceland’s north coast. Here are the best options.
- Cruise out to Akurey Island—aka Puffin Island—off the coast of Reykjavik, to discover one of Iceland’s largest puffin colonies in its natural habitat.
- Zip around the small islands of Skjalfandi Bay and spot humpback whales, porpoises, and puffins on a RIB (rigid inflatable boat) ride from Husavik.
- Set sail on a bird-watching tour from Reykjavik Harbour and look out for arctic terns, black guillemots, northern fulmars, and puffins around Faxafloi Bay.
- Learn more about fascinating puffins, nicknamed the “clowns of the sea,” from an expert guide.
- Enjoy two unforgettable wildlife tours with a combo deal from Reykjavik, including a puffin-watching cruise and a whale-watching tour.