Dakshineswar Kali Temple
Located in the northern Kolkata (Calcutta) neighborhood of Dakshineswar along the Hoohley River is the Dakshineswar Kali Temple. The temple complex, dating back to the nineteenth century, consists of one large temple to Kali and 13 smaller temples dedicated to the worship of other deities in the Hindu pantheon.
The main temple, built in 1855, is an important pilgrimage spot for devotees of Kali, the patron goddess of Kolkata. It is also the temple where spiritual leader Ramakrishna had a vision that prompted him to turn against the caste system and preach religious unity instead. The small room where he lived much of his life is now a small museum celebrating his life.
The temple complex tends to get crowded on Sundays. Visit in the early morning hours to beat the heat and watch the locals feed the pigeons or browse the small flower market just outside the temple grounds.
Browse. Filter. Book
What are Dakshineswar Kali Temple hours of operation?
What's the best way to experience Dakshineswar Kali Temple?
- Guided Kolkata Sightseeing Trip by Car, Walk & Sunset Cruise Excursion Trip
- Full-Day Custom Private Tour of Kolkata
- Explore the Religious Sites in Kolkata
- Full day tour of temples in Kolkata
Things to do near Kolkata
- Things to do in West Bengal
- Things to do in Rajshahi
- Things to do in Dhaka
- Things to do in Bhubaneswar
- Things to do in Cox's Bazar
- Things to do in Sylhet
- Things to do in Darjeeling
- Things to do in Kathmandu
- Things to do in Lhasa
- Things to do in Odisha
- Things to do in Assam
- Things to do in Guwahati
- Things to do in Paro
- Things to do in Tibet
- Things to do in Uttar Pradesh