The Monument to the Great Fire of London, often simply known as ‘The Monument,’ is a Doric Greek column built to commemorate the Great Fire of London. The monument, designed by Sir Christopher Wren and built between 1671 and 1677, is located near the northern end of London Bridge and has been welcoming visitors for more than 300 years. There are now many cafes and restaurants that have popped up around this historic landmark. Visitors may climb the 311 steps leading to the top of the monument, and get rewarded with spectacular views of the city of London (and a certificate of athletic prowess!). The monument was built to commemorate the Great Fire of London and to celebrate the rebuilding of the city after the destruction caused by the fire, which began in a baker’s house on Pudding Lane and raged for three days – destroying much of the city. The only buildings that survived the fire were the ones built of stone (like St. Paul’s Cathedral). The monument is 202 feet high (61 meters) – the exact distance between it and the place on Pudding Lane where the fire was started.
The monument is located at the junction of Monument Street and Fish Street Hill, 202 feet (61 meters) from the place the Great Fire of London started in 1666. The monument only accepts cash payment. Children younger than 13 must be accompanied by an adult in order to climb the steps to the top. Large bags must be left at the base of the staircase.