National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) Tours and Activities
The National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) isn't your average university. The Mexico City-based school was started in 1551 by King Philip II of Spain (at which point it was called the Royal and Pontifical University of Mexico) and is the oldest university in North America and the second oldest in all the Americas. Today, it is the largest university in Mexico and has a strong emphasis on research and cultural impact. UNAM isn't just for students, though; travelers to Mexico City who love history will also enjoy visiting this prestigious school.
The main draw for visitors is to see the Central University Campus, which wasn't built until the 1950s. The Central University Campus is a work of art in and of itself thanks to its modern architecture that features the focal point of a massive block of a building with the side adorned in murals done by Diego Rivera, Diego Alfaro Siqueiros and other prominent artists. Thanks to the artistic flair and history of the campus, it is a UNESCO Cultural Heritage of Humanity site.
The University Cultural Center is also a big draw thanks to the performances in its concert hall as well as being home to a wide range of exhibits and the National Library. The university is also home to museums that can be toured, including ones that focus on mural artwork, architecture, astronomy and different cultures.
Tours and Activities to Experience National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Xochimilco, Coyoacán and Frida Kahlo Museum Tour
- Visit to Xochimilco and Coyoacán and CU
- 4-Day Teotihuacan, Guadalupe Shrine, Xochimilco,Taxco and Puebla Guided Tour
- Xochimilco, Coyoacán and Frida Kahlo Museum Private Tour
- Things to do in Central Mexico
- Things to do in Taxco
- Things to do in Acapulco
- Things to do in Puerto Escondido
- Things to do in Puerto Vallarta
- Things to do in Monterrey
- Things to do in South Padre Island
- Things to do in Mazatlan
- Things to do in Quetzaltenango
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in Guerrero
- Things to do in Oaxaca
- Things to do in Jalisco