In Naples, summer means long days, lots of sunshine, and an exhilarating slate of activities. From island trips to ancient ruins to Vespa tours, here are some of the best ways to make the most of a summer trip to sunny southern Italy.
- Sample delicious street foods, including sfogliatella (a sweet ricotta-filled pastry) and Neapolitan-style pizza, during a food tour of the city.
- Take shelter from the midday sun inside the fresco-filled Naples Cathedral (Duomo di San Gennaro), the National Archaeological Museum of Naples, and the Sansevero Chapel (Museo Cappella Sansevero).
- Travel along the Amalfi Coast, a scenic region famed for its charming cliff-top towns and spectacular coastal scenery.
- Take a boat trip out to the idyllic island of Capri, a favorite getaway of the rich and famous.
- Zip around the UNESCO-listed center of Naples on a vintage Vespa.
- Enjoy the cool evening breeze and atmospheric streets during a nighttime tour of Naples.
- Inspect the perfectly preserved remnants of the Roman town of Pompeii, which was devastated by a volcanic eruption in AD 79.
- Hike to the summit of Mount Vesuvius and soak up the incredible views out over the Bay of Naples.
- Taste limoncello and shop for locally made handicrafts in the Mediterranean resort town of Sorrento.