Charles Square is a city square located in the New Town of Prague. It was created by Charles IV in 1348 when the New Town was first built, and was the largest town square across medieval Europe. At approximately 70,000 square-meters, even today it’s one of the largest city squares in the world, and certainly the largest in Prague.
Formerly known as Cattle Market, the square was named after its founder in the 18th century, around the same time its central section was turned into a park. This park covers most of the square and is a popular place for locals and visitors to come and relax. It features seven sculptures and a Baroque fountain.
Among the oldest buildings on the square are the New Town Hall and the 16th century Faust House. Other notable buildings include the Baroque Jesuit Church of Saint Ignatius and the neo-Renaissance Czech Technical University building.
If not within walking distance of Charles Square, take Line B of the metro and exit at Karlovo namesti, or take any of the following numbered trams: 3, 4, 6, 14, 16, 18, 22, or 24.