Palacio de Bellas Artes Tours
Constructed in 1910, at the height of Latin America's frilly neoclassical-meets-art nouveau architectural wave, the graceful Palacio de Bellas Artes still strikes an imposing figure amidst modern Santiago's cold skyscrapers. Its ornate stone facade, which would do any cathedral proud, and permanent artistic merit make it the perfect home for the National Museum of Fine Arts.
The permanent collection, displayed in the Palacio's soaring chambers, begins with the Spanish Colonial era and traces Chile's cultural development through the styles of its artistic masters. Temporary exhibitions come from around Chile and the world.
The MAC (Museo de Arte Contemporáneo), Santiago's contemporary art museum, is also here. While it University of Chile-operated institution may lack the gravitas of the neighboring Fine Arts Museum, exhibits can be a lot more fun.
The Palacio de Bellas Artes is located on the northern edge of the historic district, five blocks from the Plaza de Armas, close to the river. This busy neighborhood isn't the easiest to navigate with a car, but there are several metro stops nearby. The L5 green line serves the Bellas Artes stop, right in front of the building.
The Palacio's entry fee is included as part of a Turistik, which gives you a day's access to double-decker buses that circuit past most of Santiago's attractions. Guided Spanish-language tours of the museum can be arranged for groups with one week advanced notice.
27 Tours and Activities to Experience Palacio de Bellas Artes
Small Group Best Deal: Panoramic Santiago city tour experience plus Viña del mar - Valparaiso - Casablanca in Two Days from Santiago
Frequently Asked Questions
- Private Santiago City Half Day Tour
- Pre or Post San Antonio Cruise with Santiago City Tour and optional Vineyard
- Private Tour: Half-Day Santiago Discovery
- Half-Day Small-Group Panoramic Santiago Tour
Things to do near Santiago
- Things to do in San Antonio
- Things to do in Valparaíso
- Things to do in Mendoza
- Things to do in Pucón
- Things to do in San Martin de los Andes
- Things to do in Bariloche
- Things to do in Lake District
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in North Chile
- Things to do in Patagonia
- Things to do in Altiplano