Experience an enchanting night at the Flames of the Forest dinner, held in the world's oldest rainforest. Dine by candlelight at an open-air site, feasting on a gourmet multi-course meal while enjoying live entertainment such as an Aboriginal cultural performance or live guitar music. Sip Australian wines and beer, and finish off with tantalizing desserts before your included transfer to your hotel in Cairns, the Northern Beaches or Port Douglas.
Flames of the Forest dinner experience, from Cairns, the Northern Beaches and Port Douglas
Enjoy a multi-course gourmet meal accompanied by Australian wines and beer
Bask in the romance of a stunning candlelit rainforest setting
Listen to the music of a solo acoustic guitarist during the dinner (Saturdays)
Become enchanted by storytelling from the Aboriginal Dreamtime (Tuesday and Thursday)
Includes pickup and drop-off from all Port Douglas, Cairns and Palm Cove hotels
Your Flame of the Forest dinner starts with hotel pickup from Cairns, the Northern Beaches and Port Douglas. Transfer in a comfortable climate-controlled vehicle to the specially designed open-air dining site situated in the rainforest surrounding Cairns. When you arrive, follow a short pathway lit by flaming torches to arrive at a secluded clearing. The gracious staff welcomes you with hors d'oeuvres and sparkling wine. Sip your wine as you take in the nighttime forest and dining area, which is illuminated with budlight chandeliers and flickering candles, all set under a high tented canopy. For the meal, take a seat at a shared table and enjoy a memorable evening. The 7-course Aboriginal Cultural Dining Experience takes place on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The entertainment features an Aboriginal performance of didgeridoo, storytelling and song. On Saturdays, the 6-course Rainforest Dining Experience takes place with a guitarist that entertains diners with solo acoustic guitar. For details about the evening, please see options and menus below under Itinerary.
Flames of the Forest 7-course Aboriginal Cultural Dining Experience (Tuesday and Thursday): Feast on a 7-course banquet that uses the freshest local produce, meats and seafood (menu below). Your meal includes sparkling, white and red wines, beer juices and soft drinks. Watch an Aboriginal cultural performance featuring didgeridoo, storytelling and song.
Sample Menu: First course:
• Trio of dips - roasted eggplant with red pepper, feta & fresh herbs, basil pesto & traditional butter served with freshly baked breadMains:
• Fresh local Tiger prawns served with a crisp vegetable and sprout salad, with a chili and lime dressing • Tableland salad of mesclun, vine-ripened cherry tomatoes, fresh garlic croutons and Spanish onion finished with a honey mustard dressing • Lemon myrtle infused kangaroo loin on a bed of wild rocket and toasted macadamia nuts garnished with homemade fig chutney • Locally caught pan-fried reef fish served with lightly steamed seasonal greens and finished with a fragrant coconut and kaffir lime broth • Jungle-spiced chicken breast with an aromatic fresh date and fire-roasted red pepper couscous topped with a mint and bush lime yogurt • Slow roasted Black Angus sirloin served on a warm kipfler potato and green bean salad accompanied by confit cherry tomatoes, finished with a red wine jusDessert:
• Traditional Pavlova accompanied by seasonal tropical fruits, fragrant vanilla bean chantilly cream and passion fruit coulisFlames of the Forest 6-Course Rainforest Dining Experience (Saturday): Savor a 6-course tropical tasting menu that is designed to introduce you to the flavors of the Tropical North. It is served plated and accompanied by sparkling, white and red wines, beer juices and soft drinks. Enjoy a solo acoustic guitarist who plays enchanting music during your meal.
Sample Menu: First Course:
• Lightly seared kangaroo loin carpaccio served with a rocket, parmesan and Spanish onion salad with fresh truffle oil, dressed with aged balsamic glazeMains:
• Smoked crocodile rillette with crisp cucumber slice & salsa verde • House made spanner crab tortellini in a fennel cream sauce with fresh garden herbs • Pan-seared coral trout on sauteed seasonal greens with a lemon myrtle infused beurre blanc accompanied by a fresh herb salsa • Port-braised beef cheek on duchess potato accompanied by spring baby vegetablesDessert:
• Black sapote pavé (chocolate pudding fruit) with orange blossom cream and pistachio nut praline
Unfortunately this event was cancelled due to low bookings. We were really disappointed as we had heard from other travelers that this was an amazing night. Guess next time back, we'll hopefully get to do it.
Very unique and beautiful dining experience. We went on an evening with the acoustic guitar - music was just right- some songs we knew some we had not heard before - nice accompaniment to the meal.
Setting was mesmerizing - twinkling lights and dancing shadows....having a table jut to ourselves gave the evening a romantic, special feeling.
Food was most interesting - and tasty. Wine choices were fine and plentiful.....might have been nice to have a unique after dinner wine with the desert.
The drive from our hotel in Cairns was surprisingly long but gave us a chance to see areas/towns that we wouldn't have otherwise had a chance to see.
Dinner was fantastic, served family style. I was able to try dishes that I wouldn't order off a menu for example, kangaroo. The aboriginal music and story telling was an added bonus. The atmosphere was romantic.
This was a bit of a strange experience. When compared to the cost, I did not feel it was worth it. The food was fantastic, albeit quite gourmet and perhaps too ritzy for some tastes, but beautifully prepared. We went on a Saturday night but we were not impressed with the guitarist. The atmosphere was nice but it was simply lights strung from the trees. I would not do this tour again in the future.
It was a truly amazing experience. Something I have never seen anywhere else and not likely to forget any time soon. The food was delishious. Not a scrap was sent back to the kitchen and all the staff were very pleasant. Highly recommend to anyone.
Great transfers from Palm Cove, magical setting, excellent storytellers, enjoyed the company at our table. The wine and beer at the table was good with plenty of top ups. Beer, juice and bubbly wine only at meet and greet, which I don't drink. All the food was great although the chicken dish was too spicy for my taste. Just enough food, none left over. Rain on the tent roof while we dined made it even more atmospheric.