Don’t worry—here are some similar options
- Day hike in Mt Aspiring National Park with transport from Queenstown
- Snap photos of Rob Roy Glacier from a viewpoint that overlooks the valley
- Hike among beech trees, streams, lush valleys, alpine meadows and snow-topped mountains
- Look for wild keas, the only alpine parrot in the world
- Eat a picnic lunch while admiring the breathtaking scenery
- Learn about the area from an informative guide
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
Departure PointCentrally located Queenstown hotels
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Start your day trip with morning pickup from your Queenstown hotel and relax during the 2-hour drive by minivan over the Crown Range — New Zealand’s highest main road. You’ll swap Lake Wakatipu and the Remarkables Range for the Matukituki Valley, west of Lake Wanaka.
Upon reaching the trailhead in the World Heritage–listed Mt Aspiring National Park, follow your guide down a well-marked footpath. You’ll cross the Matukituki River via a narrow suspension bridge, tromp through a beech forest and huff up a small gorge before ascending 1,080 feet (330 meters) into the Rob Roy Valley. Here, snap photos of Rob Roy Glacier and the surrounding snowcapped mountains.
Your efforts are rewarded with a picnic at another glacier viewpoint, which overlooks a tumbling waterfall from jagged rock cliffs. Watch for clever kea birds — aka, alpine parrots — that may be curious about your lunch.
Throughout the day, your guide shares interesting commentary on regional history, ecology and wildlife. Upon completion of your round-trip hike, you’re driven back to Queenstown, arriving at your hotel in the early evening.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Comfortable, supportive sporting footwear is recommended
- Guides available in German
- Please bring sunglasses, hat, insect repellent, sunscreen and a warm outer layer in the summer; in the winter, bring/wear thermals, hat, gloves and waterproof outer jacket
- Pricing per group, 1-4 people per group
- Total hiking distance is approximately 6 miles (10 km)
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 4 travelers
- OPERATED BY Hollyford Valley Walks
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
See all safety measures taken by Rob Roy Glacier Day Hike with Transport from Queenstown.