Panathenaic Stadium (Panathinaiko Stadio)
Entrance to the Panathenaic Stadium includes an audio guide and access to a small museum exhibiting Olympic Games posters. Don’t miss the chance to snap your photo on the winners’ pedestal. Hop-on hop-off buses and many Central Athens sightseeing tours stop at the stadium and other top sights, such as the Acropolis, the Roman Agora, and Syntagma Square.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Panathenaic Stadium is occasionally used as a concert venue—check to see what’s on during your visit.
Smoking, drinking anything other than water, and eating are prohibited inside the stadium.
Facilities include toilets (for a small fee) and a café (near the entrance).
How to Get There
The Panathenaic Stadium is located just southeast of the National Gardens of Athens (Ethnikos Kipos). Take the metro to the Syntagma, Acropoli, or Evangelismos station, then walk the short distance to the stadium.
When to Get There
The stadium is open to visitors year-round. The best time to go is in the morning or early evening, when temperatures are lower. Visitors can jog along the track in the early morning—just fill out the waiver available on the stadium’s website.
Where to Find the Best Views in the Panathenaic Stadium
Stand 21 offers some of the finest views of Athens’ ancient riches. Climb to the highest tier, and gaze across at noble sights such as the Acropolis, Philopappos Hill (Filopappou), the Temple of Olympian Zeus (Naós tou Olympíou Diós), and Mt. Lycabettus (Lykavittos), the city’s tallest peak.
- Things to do in Olympia
- Things to do in Santorini
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Kusadasi
- Things to do in Selçuk
- Things to do in Kos
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Ohrid
- Things to do in Rhodes
- Things to do in Sarigerme
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Peloponnese
- Things to do in Cyclades Islands
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- Byzantine & Christian Museum
- Athens War Museum (Polemiko Mouseio)
- Museum of Cycladic Art
- Benaki Museum
- Kolonaki Square (Plateia Kolonaki)
- National Gardens of Athens (Ethnikos Kipos)
- Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (Mnemeíon Agnostou Stratiotou)
- Ghika Gallery (Pinakothiki Ghika)
- Parliament Building (Vouli)
- Syntagma Square (Plateia Syntagmatos)
- Syntagma Station
- Numismatic Museum of Athens
- Temple of Olympian Zeus (Naós tou Olympíou Diós)
- Frissiras Museum
- Mt. Lycabettus (Lykavittos)