Kunming Lake occupies about three-fourths of Beijing's Summer Palace complex, and during warm months, this man-made lake sets the scene for relaxing cruises through its waters. Here's what you need to know about Summer Palace cruises in Beijing.
- Cruise the Imperial Waterway once used by the Empress Dowager Cixi to travel between the Summer Palace and Zizhuyuan Park.
- Take in the sites from a traditional canopied dragon boat.
- See the lake's most important attractions—including the Marble Boat, Longevity Hill, 17 Arch Bridge, South Lake Island, and Kuoru Pavilion—from the water.
Things to Know
- You can combine your Summer Palace cruise with a tour to other important Beijing attractions, such as the Forbidden City, the Beijing Zoo, and Tiananmen Square.
- The boat ride from Zizhuyuan Park to the Summer Palace takes about 40 minutes.
- Day tours that include a dragon boat cruise on Kunming Lake and visits to other Beijing sights can last upwards of seven hours.