Red Arrow Walk
One of three marked trails running around the Mount Whitfield Regional Park, the RedWalk offers a scenic introduction to Cairns’ lush rainforest and it’s a popular choice for walkers and runners. The 1.3km circuit runs from the base of Mount Whitfield, behind the Cairns Botanical Gardens, and follows a scenic route through eucalyptus forest and bamboo groves.
Climbing around 100 meters up the mountainside, the trail is of moderate difficulty, with some steep sections and takes around an hour to hike. As well as spotting native wildlife like bush turkeys, wallabies and pademelons, walkers can enjoy panoramic views over Cairns, the coast and the nearby Green Island from two lookout points along the way.
The Red Arrow Walk is also linked to the more challenging Blue Arrow trail, a 4.5km loop that climbs to the summit of Mount Lumley Hill, and the 3km Green Arrow trail.
The Red Arrow Walk is located at Mount Whitefield, around 5km north of downtown Cairns, close to the Cairns Botanical Gardens.
- Cairns Botanic Gardens
- Centenary Lakes
- Mt. Whitfield
- Muddy's Playground
- Cairns Aquarium
- Kuranda Scenic Railway
- Michaelmas Cay
- Cairns Night Markets & Food Court
- Esplanade Boardwalk
- Cairns Esplanade Lagoon
- Rusty's Markets
- Great Barrier Reef
- Green Island
- Cairns Zoom & Wildlife Dome
- Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park
- Things to Do in Cairns with Kids
- Romantic Things to Do in Cairns and the Tropical North
- How to Spend 2 Days in Cairns
- Things to Do in Cairns This Summer
- Don't Miss These Must-Do Activities in Cairns and the Tropical North
- How to Spend 3 Days in Cairns & the Tropical North
- Things to Do in Cairns This Winter