Visitors who experience Sintra on a guided tour from Lisbon benefit from a tour guide’s insight and included transportation. Popular attractions within this UNESCO World Heritage Site include the Museum of Modern Art, Monserrate Palace (Palacio de Monserrate), Pena National Palace, Castle of the Moors, and the beautiful Gothic architecture of the Quinta da Regaleira. While it’s possible to spend an entire day (or week) in this captivating town, travelers with limited time can also combine a visit to Sintra with stops at other nearby points of interest, such as Praia Grande, Cascais, Guincho Beach, or the wineries of Colares.
Recent reviews from experiences in Lisbon
Things to Know Before You Go
Travelers can dedicate an entire day to the UNESCO-listed city, or incorporate other stops, such as Cascais, Colares, and Guincho Beach.
Day trips to Sintra generally last about eight hours and typically include return transportation.
Wear comfortable shoes suitable for walking on uneven surfaces.
How to Get There
The easiest way to get to Sintra is by train from Lisbon. Trains depart every 10 to 20 minutes from Estação do Rossio to the Sintra Railway Station, and the journey takes about 45 minutes. There’s also a slower bus service from both Lisbon and Cascais.
When to Get There
For the best experience and minimal crowds, plan to visit early in the day, midweek, and outside of the summer high season. Classical music lovers gather in late spring and early summer, when the Sintra Festival takes place and concerts are hosted all over town.
Getting Around Sintra
There are a number of cost-effective ways to get around Sintra, including Bus 434, which goes from Sintra station to most of the major attractions. If you're looking for a more romantic and historic mode of transportation, try a horse-drawn carriage ride around the town center or through the Park of Pena.
- Things to do in Sintra
- Things to do in Cascais
- Things to do in Setubal District
- Things to do in Coimbra
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Albufeira
- Things to do in Faro
- Things to do in Porto
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Santiago de Compostela
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Alentejo
- Things to do in Beiras
- Things to do in The Algarve
- Castle of the Moors (Castelo dos Mouros)
- Sintra National Palace (Palácio Nacional de Sintra)
- Chalet and Garden of the Countess D'Edla (Chalet e Jardim da Condessa D'Edla)
- Monserrate Palace (Palacio de Monserrate)
- Cabo da Roca
- National Palace of Queluz
- National Palace of Mafra (Palácio Nacional de Mafra)
- Vasco da Gama Aquarium (Aquário Vasco da Gama)
- Benfica Museum (Museu Benfica - Cosme Damiao)
- Estádio da Luz
- Belém Tower (Torre de Belém)
- Berardo Collection Museum (Museu Colecao Berardo)
- Lisbon Maritime Museum (Museu de Marinha)
- National Archaeology Museum (Museu Nacional de Arqueologia)