Fort Jesus Museum
During the last years of the sixteenth century, the Portuguese constructed a massive fort to protect the port of Mombasa. Designed by Giovanni Battista Cairati, Fort Jesus is one of the best preserved examples of Portuguese military architecture from the era, as well as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Today, Mombasa’s most visited attraction houses the Fort Jesus Museum. The collection includes archaeological finds not only from Fort Jesus, but from nearby sites as well. Highlights include a collection of ceramics from the Kenyan coast and what’s left of the San Antonio de Tanna, a Portuguese gunner that sank not far from the fort in the late seventeenth century.
Tours and tickets to Experience Fort Jesus Museum
What are Fort Jesus Museum hours of operation?
Should I book Fort Jesus Museum tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Fort Jesus Museum 2021?
What's the best way to experience Fort Jesus Museum?
- Full-Day Tour of Mombasa
- Day City/Shore Excursion - Fort Jesus, Old Town, Nguuni & Haller Park Tour
- Shore excursion: Full -day Mombasa city tour
- Mombasa Full-Day Guided City Tour
Things to do near Mombasa
- Things to do in Malindi
- Things to do in Zanzibar City
- Things to do in Moshi
- Things to do in Dar es Salaam
- Things to do in Arusha
- Things to do in Nairobi
- Things to do in Lake Nakuru National Park
- Things to do in Kampala
- Things to do in Zanzibar
- Things to do in Kilimanjaro
- Things to do in Mahé
- Things to do in Gauteng
- Things to do in KwaZulu-Natal