Easily accessible from Orlando, the subtropical Florida Everglades offer a change of pace from the theme parks of Orlando. Combine an airboat safari through the wildlife-rich wilderness with other nearby sights for a full-day experience—here’s how.
Half-day tours begin with a short drive from Orlando into the northern reaches of the Everglades. Here you’ll enjoy an airboat safari through the swamps and marshes of Wild Florida Airboats & Wildlife Park, looking for alligators, eagles, and wild boars along the way. Then learn more about alligators, their habits, and their dangers in a live alligator demonstration.
Combine an airboat safari, either in the northern Everglades or at Everglades National Park, with other exciting experiences for a full-day excursion from Orlando. Visit the Kennedy Space Center and tour NASA’s launch headquarters; swim with manatees at Crystal River and watch a manatee-feeding session at Homosassa Springs Wildlife Park; or visit Miami to enjoy a cruise on Biscayne Bay and check out the art deco architecture on South Beach.
Things to Know
- Airboat safaris last between 30 and 90 minutes.
- Many tours include pickup and drop-off from select Orlando hotels.
- Note that not all tours enter Everglades National Park; some instead run airboat excursions in the northern Everglades.
- Full-day tours typically run from 11 to 15 hours long.
- Tour destinations are fewer than two hours from Orlando by road—except Miami and the official Everglades National Park, which are closer to four hours away.