Port of Oslo (Oslo Havn)
Norway’s second-busiest port, after Bergen, the Port of Oslo (Oslo Havn) is a popular destination on Scandinavian cruises, welcoming over a hundred annual cruise calls. Located at the head of the Oslo Fjord, cruise passengers at the Port of Oslo benefit from easy access to the Norwegian capital, with its many lakes, parks, and museums.
With just one day in port, most visitors opt to take in the highlights of Oslo, either as part of a guided small-group or private shore excursion or by exploring independently. Most shore excursions offer round-trip transportation and stop at places such as the Nobel Peace Center, City Hall, and the Opera House.
Meanwhile, hop-on hop-off buses pass by the Kon-Tiki Museum, Akershus Fortress, and Vigeland Sculpture Park. Water taxis and ferries run across the harbor to the Bygdoy Peninsula, where you will find the Viking Ship Museum, Fram Museum, and Norwegian Folk Museum.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Port of Oslo terminal offers ATMs, currency exchange facilities, free Wi-Fi, and a tourist information desk.
Shore excursions typically include port pickup and drop-off.
The weather in Oslo can change quickly, even in summer, so wear layers and pack an umbrella or raincoat.
Most attractions are reachable on foot, so wear comfortable walking shoes and pick up a map from the cruise terminal on arrival.
How to Get to Oslo From the Port of Oslo
There are four main cruise terminals located around the Akershus Fortress at Oslo harbor. All terminals are close to central Oslo, with the closest terminal being just a 5-minute walk from City Hall and the furthest a 20-minute walk. Buses and trams also stop close to the terminals, and taxis are available outside.
The local currency is the krone, but some shops will also accept euros. Credit cards are generally accepted throughout the city. The local language is Norwegian, though most locals also speak English.
- Things to do in Stavanger
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Oslo Cathedral (Oslo Domkirke)
- Karl Johans Gate
- Oslo Opera House (Operahuset)
- Oslo National Gallery (Nasjonalgalleriet)
- Akershus Castle (Akershus Slott)
- Oslo City Hall (Radhuset)
- Munch Museum (Munchmuseet)
- Ibsen Museum
- Oslo Royal Palace (Kongelige Slott)
- Astrup Fearnley Museum of Modern Art (Astrup Fearnley Museet)
- Vigeland Museum (Vigeland Museet)
- Vigeland Sculpture Park (Vigelandsanlegget)
- Fram Museum (Frammuseet)
- Kon-Tiki Museum