Located in the gloriously ornate Neue Residenz in Mozartplatz, the Salzburg Museum opened in 2007 to great acclaim and won European Museum of the Year two years later. It serves as an informative and educational museum of art and history, scanning aspects of the development of Salzburg as a city.
A museum of several parts housed in fine marble apartments, it features temporary art exhibitions, highlights the lives of prominent Salzburg movers and shakers, and examines the history of the city through a series of artwork in the permanent exhibition ‘The Myth of Salzburg’. A one-man exhibition on the third floor spotlights the mesmeric paintings of famous contemporary Austrian artist Gottfried Salzmann.
The Salzburg Museum is partnered to the adjacent Panorama Museum and they are connected by the subterranean Panorama Passage, which reveals a section of Roman wall covered with murals and four models of Salzburg at pertinent points in its development. The undoubted star of the Panorama Museum is the 85-foot (26-m) cyclorama of the city painted in 1829 by Johann Michael Sattler; it is supremely impressive in its fine architectural and topographical detail.
Salzburg Museum is in Mozartplatz, easily accessible on foot. There are parking facilities close by. Opening hours are Tue-Sun 9am-5pm. Admission is €8.5, 16-26 €4.5, children 6-15 €3.5. There are free guided tours on Thur 6pm. Admission free with Salzburg Card.
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Mozart Square (Mozartplatz)
- Panorama Museum
- Georg Trakl Memorial (Traklhouse)
- Residenz Gallery (Residenzgalerie)
- Salzburg Old Town (Salzburger Altstadt)
- Cathedral Museum (Dommuseum)
- Salzburg Cathedral (Dom zu Salzburg)
- Michael Haydn Museum
- St. Peter's Abbey (Stift Sankt Peter)
- Museum of Modern Art Salzburg Rupertinum (Museum der Moderne Rupertinum)
- Mozart’s Birthplace (Mozarts Geburtshaus)
- Hohensalzburg Fortress (Festung Hohensalzburg)
- Salzburg Marionette Theatre (Marionettentheater)
- Nonnberg Abbey (Stift Nonnberg)