House of Wonders (Beit-al-Ajaib)
House of Wonders, which is home to the Museum of History and Culture, is not only the largest—but also the tallest building in Stone Town. Built in 1883, the palace was the first building on the island to have electricity and the first in the region to have a working elevator. Since the early 2000s, House of Wonders has showcased a permanent collection of artifacts related to Swahili and Zanzibari culture.
Travelers can explore the grounds, which include a traditional Swahili boat, old-world fishing tools and famous ships, or wander the halls that offer an up close look at traditional garments, historic portraits of royalty and ancient furniture taken from former sultans’ homes. A visit to House of Wonders provides travelers with a window into the local culture and the island’s rich history.
Browse. Filter. Book.
What's the best way to experience House of Wonders (Beit-al-Ajaib)?
- Stone Town and Prison Island from Zanzibar
- Stone town and prison Island tour
- Stone Town Tour (Group Walking)
- Stone Town tour
Things to do near Zanzibar
- Things to do in Zanzibar City
- Things to do in Kilimanjaro
- Things to do in Mahé
- Things to do in Gauteng
- Things to do in Dar es Salaam
- Things to do in Diani Beach
- Things to do in Mombasa
- Things to do in Malindi
- Things to do in Moshi
- Things to do in KwaZulu-Natal
- Things to do in Western Cape
- Things to do in Red Sea
- Things to do in South West Nigeria
- Things to do in West Bank
- Things to do in Kerala