Are you interested in?
- Full-day train tour to Meteora from Athens includes round-trip fare and lunch
- Visit the spectacular UNESCO-listed clifftop monasteries
- Travel from Kalambaka to Meteora in a luxury 19-seater minibus with onboard Wi-Fi
- Tour three monasteries and see the others from the outside
Departure & Return
This tour starts at 07:20 from Athens Larissis train station.
What To Expect
Travel through a landscape of green valleys dotted with dramatic grey cliffs to reach Meteora, a World Heritage site built by Greek Orthodox monks who inhabited these incredible hard-to-reach sanctuaries high above ground. Visit three active monasteries, spending about 45 minutes inside each one (entrance fees not included). See the others from the outside on a van tour and discover the hermit caves of Badovas, stopping for frame-worthy photos at each site. A take-away lunch of sandwiches is provided.
After touring, return to Kalambaka and say goodbye to your driver back at the train station. You will have about an hour of free time to walk in the town’s center before hopping on the return train to Athens, where you'll arrive in the late evening.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A small amount of walking is involved, but in the monasteries there are stairs to climb
- To enter the monasteries, appropriate clothing is required; Ladies should not wear short skirts and must have long sleeves; Men are not allowed to wear shorts
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
- OPERATED BY Visit Meteora
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- "Only thing to note is the weather, try to go when it is not that hot so you can better enjoy the trip." See review
- "Meteora is quite far from Athens (4 hours ride with a train), but the tour is definitely worth it." See review
- "So easy going from Athens, it was a long day but well worth it." See review