National Gallery of Australia
The permanent collection at the National Gallery of Australia comprises more than 160,000 works of art. Much of the museum’s sculpture collection sits on display in the sculpture garden tucked between the museum building and the shores of Lake Burley Griffin. The museum offers guided tours of the permanent collection free of charge four times daily. Admission to the museum is also free, though some special exhibits might charge an entry fee.
Things to know before you go
- The National Gallery of Australia is a must-see for art lovers and families.
- The gallery is wheelchair accessible, and wheelchairs and mobile scooters can be rented from the cloakroom.
- Museum facilities include a parents/carers room, café, study room, and library.
- Food and drink, including bottled water, are not permitted inside the museum galleries.
How to get there
The National Gallery of Australia is in Canberra’s museum precinct, Parkes Place, overlooking Lake Burley Griffin. To get there by public transportation, take an ACTION bus to King Edward Terrace and Parkes Place East. Parking is free on weekends.
When to get there
The museum is open daily throughout the year (closed Christmas) from 10am to 5pm. Check the gallery calendar before your visit to see what special events or family-friendly activities are going on during your stay.
A highlight of the National Gallery of Australia is a Skyscape by American artist James Turrell entitled Within without. This immersive art installation in the gallery’s Australian Garden is meant to change the way you perceive the sky. The experience is best at dawn and dusk when the sky is transitioning between night and day.
- Things to do in Batemans Bay
- Things to do in Jervis Bay
- Things to do in Blue Mountains
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Phillip Island
- Things to do in Launceston
- Things to do in Byron Bay
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Tasmania
- High Court of Australia
- National Carillon
- National Portrait Gallery
- Questacon: the National Science and Technology Centre
- Lake Burley Griffin
- National Library of Australia
- Commonwealth Park
- Australian Parliament House
- National Museum of Australia
- Captain Cook Memorial Jet
- Australian War Memorial
- Australian National Botanic Gardens
- Mt. Ainslie
- National Zoo & Aquarium
- Australian Institute of Sport