National Museum of Australia
The National Museum of Australia collection features some 210,000 objects of historical and cultural importance. Learn about the history and culture of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders in the Gallery of First Australians, or see the heart of winning racehorse Phar Lap in the Landmarks Gallery.
Those who want a deeper insight into the museum collection can opt for a tour of the permanent collection with a guide who can share stories of the collection’s highlights. First Australians tours focus on the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders exhibits. Upgrade your museum tour with a voucher for the museum shop and lunch at a local waterfront café.
Things to know before you go
- The National Museum of Australia is a must-see for history buffs, families, and first-time visitors.
- Admission to the museum is free, though some special exhibits charge an entry fee.
- Self-guided audio tours are available in English and Mandarin via the museum app.
- The museum is wheelchair and stroller accessible; both are available from the information desk.
- Museum amenities include free Wi-Fi, an ATM, parents room, and bag storage.
How to get there
The National Museum of Australia is perched on the tip of Acton Peninsula on Lake Burley Griffin. It’s easy to get there on foot or by bike, or you can take the Culture Loop shuttle bus or ACTION bus #53 to the museum.
When to get there
The museum is open daily from 9am to 5pm through the year, but is closed at Christmas. Plan to visit on a clear day to spend time outdoors in the picturesque Garden of Australian Dreams, encircled by the museum.
The building that houses the National Museum of Australia is a striking work of art in its own right. Designed by architects Ashton Raggatt McDougall and Robert Peck von Hartel Trethowan, the structure features an airy atrium that resembles a knot seen from the inside, meant to symbolize the strands that bind Australians together.
- Things to do in Batemans Bay
- Things to do in Jervis Bay
- Things to do in Blue Mountains
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Phillip Island
- Things to do in Launceston
- Things to do in Byron Bay
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Commonwealth Park
- National Library of Australia
- Questacon: the National Science and Technology Centre
- Captain Cook Memorial Jet
- Lake Burley Griffin
- National Portrait Gallery
- High Court of Australia
- National Gallery of Australia
- Australian National Botanic Gardens
- Australian Parliament House
- National Carillon
- Australian War Memorial
- Mt. Ainslie
- National Zoo & Aquarium
- Australian Institute of Sport