Leifeng Pagoda is a five-story tower located on Sunset Hill in Hangzhou, providing panoramic views over West Lake. The original pagoda was built in 975AD during the Five Dynasties and Ten States Period on orders of King Qian Chu to celebrate the birth of his son. However, after a tumultuous history, the structure collapsed in 1924. The pagoda was eventually rebuilt and opened to the public in 2002.
The original Leifeng Pagoda was a five-story octagonal structure too. However, unlike the modern version that stands today, it was built almost entirely from brick and wood. The new pagoda is instead made from 1400 tonnes of steel with 200 tonnes of copper parts. At the entrance there are two escalators to carry visitors to the base of the pagoda, and there are a number of viewing platforms to climb up to in order to marvel at the views. The new pagoda also features such modern amenities such as air-conditioning and speakers, although the ruins of the original building, along with a number of historical artifacts, can still be seen at the site.
To reach Leifeng Pagoda, take the tourist bus Y2 and alight at Jingsi Station.