Santiago de Surco
Between bohemian Barranco, glitzy Miraflores, and the coastal streets of Chorillos, the Santiago deSurco district is a part of Lima that few visitors see. Located well off of the tourist trail—though physically not far away—Surco is stocked with universities and hundreds of manicured gardens. It’s a place that was heavily looted and destroyed in the War of the Pacific with Chile, and a place where locals gather in droves in the green oasis of the parks. Take a stroll through the Santiago deSurco district’s very own Plaza Mayor, which is punctuated by the baroque Iglesia Santo Apostol rising up from the square. While there aren’t a lot of formal sights, Surco becomes a sight unto itself whenever it hosts a festival. The Vendimia festival in the second week of March is an ode to the district’s wine harvest, when downtown Surco becomes festively punchdrunk on music, drinking, and song. Other than the plaza, churches, and festivals, the museums in Surco—while small in scale—are refreshingly free of crowds. For a look at centuries of riches and warfare, stop at the privately owned Gold and Weapon Museum and its 20,000 pre-Columbian artifacts. You can also find weapons from the days of the conquistadores, and even look at a gleaming sword that was used by Francisco Pizarro.
Should I book Santiago de Surco tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Santiago de Surco 2020?
What's the best way to experience Santiago de Surco?
- Local Markets & Food History Small-Group Tour
- Peruvian Food Tour through Local Markets (Small Group)
- Dinner Show: Pride, Passion and Magic - Peruvian Paso Horse
- Private and exclusive Street Food and Peruvian History
Things to do near Lima
- Things to do in Ica
- Things to do in Huaraz
- Things to do in Nazca
- Things to do in Sacred Valley
- Things to do in Cusco
- Things to do in Chachapoyas
- Things to do in Chiclayo
- Things to do in Arequipa
- Things to do in Puerto Maldonado
- Things to do in Puno
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in North Coast
- Things to do in Copacabana
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in North Chile