Bai Dinh Pagoda (Chua Bai Dinh)
Not your average Vietnamese temple, the Bai Dinh Pagoda (Chùa Bái Đính) is actually an almost-three-square-mile complex of temple buildings and gardens dominating the slopes of a rounded hill in Ninh Binh province. The impressive site—whose three-tiered-roof hall leads to attractions such as 30 foot, 200,000 lb. bronze Buddha statue statue; intricate laquerwork and stone carving; a 72,000 lb. bronze bell housed in the 13-story Phap Chu pagoda; and 500 arhat (wisened Buddhist) statues—is a relatively new attraction. Though a much older temple exists up 300 stone steps and tucked into caves at the back of the complex, some of the larger and showier additions, including the bell and its tower, were built only in the last 15 years.
Thousands of Vietnamese pilgrims flood the site regularly, particularly during an annual Bai Dinh Pagoda Festival combining new and old rituals around the sixth day of the first lunar month. Some sources duby this the largest pagoda complex in Vietnam, but regardless of ranking, there’s no question this superlative site is worth a visit. Just don’t expect to have the place to yourself.
Ways to experience Bai Dinh Pagoda (Chua Bai Dinh)
Browse. Filter. Book
What are Bai Dinh Pagoda (Chua Bai Dinh) hours of operation?
What's the best way to experience Bai Dinh Pagoda (Chua Bai Dinh)?
- Bai Dinh and Trang An Day Trip with Lunch and Electric Car
- 1 Day Luxury Tour in Bai Dinh, Trang An and Mua Cave
- Full-Day Bai Dinh Pagoda and Trang An from Hanoi
- Bai Dinh pagoda & Trang An grottoes one day trip
Things to do near Northern Vietnam
- Things to do in Halong Bay
- Things to do in Hanoi
- Things to do in Southwest China
- Things to do in Guangxi
- Things to do in Southern China
- Things to do in Wuhan
- Things to do in Chongqing
- Things to do in Zhangjiajie
- Things to do in Quanzhou
- Things to do in Ningbo
- Things to do in Eastern China
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Things to do in Northwest China
- Things to do in Northern China
- Things to do in Northern Thailand