Recent Searches
Things to do in Norway

Things to do in  Norway

Welcome to Norway

Norway: land of breathtaking fjords, cosmopolitan cities, and Scandinavian design. In the capital city of Oslo, visit top attractions such as the Viking Ship Museum and Vigeland Sculpture Park, and get a taste of Norwegian culture on a food tour. On the west coast, UNESCO-protected fjords, craggy coastlines, and Bergen—the so-called City of Seven Mountains—beckon outdoor enthusiasts. Those in search of the northern lights and winter activities—from dogsledding to snowmobile safaris—should head for Tromso, while train buffs won't want to miss a trip on the Bergen and Flam railways, considered among the world's most scenic train journeys.

Top 15 attractions in Norway

Tromso Fjords

Thanks to its spectacular setting among a series of islands and skerries laced with waterways and scalloped inlets, Tromso is the epicenter of day trips out into the fjords bordering the Norwegian Sea. These long, narrow sea inlets are characterized by steep, mountainous slopes carved out by glaciation during the last Ice Age.More

Mt. Floyen (Floyfjellet)

Mount Fløyen (Fløyfjellet**)**towers 1,310 feet (399 meters) over Bergen and offers panoramic views of the city and surrounding landscape from its summit. A popular hiking destination, the mountain features a funicular railway and a network of scenic walking and biking trails that run throughout the area.More


Norway’s cosmopolitan capital lies at the head of Oslofjord, a narrow body of water 68 miles (107 kilometers) in length that leads out to the strait of Skagerrak and eventually to the Baltic and North Seas. The fjord’s islets are its main attraction, home to sandy beaches, cycling and hiking routes, and historic lighthouses.More


Norway’s second-longest fjord, Hardangerfjord stretches nearly 124 miles (200 kilometers) inland from the Atlantic. Highlights include a massive glacier covering more than 77 square miles (200 square kilometers) and Troll’s Tongue (Trolltunga) rock, hanging 2,300 feet (701 meters) above Ringedalsvatnet Lake in Odda.More

Oslo Opera House (Operahuset)

Impressively designed by architectural firm Snøhetta, and made from white granite and marble and evocative of a floating glacier, the Oslo Opera House is a widely recognized landmark in Oslofjord. Home to the Norwegian National Opera and Ballet, it boasts a magnificent auditorium and complementary performance spaces for a variety of musical and dance performances.More

Oslo Royal Palace (Kongelige Slott)

Oslo’s neoclassical Royal Palace was designed by architect Hans Linstow and built in the early 19th century for King Charles III, who reigned over a united Norway and Sweden. Today it is the official city residence of King Harald V and his wife Queen Sonja, and is open during the summer for guided tours of some of its 173 palatial rooms.More

Akershus Castle (Akershus Slott)

Set on the banks of Oslo Fjord, Akershus Castle (Akershus Slott)—also known as Akershus Fortress (Akershus Festning)—was built in 1299 as a residence for Norway’s royal family. Over the years it has served as a fortress to protect Oslo against sieges from rival Swedish forces, as a Renaissance castle, and as a full-fledged 19th-century prison.More

Oslo City Hall (Radhuset)

Clad in heavy red bricks, the Oslo City Hall is impossible to miss in central downtown Oslo. The administrative seat of the City Council, the building may look simply functional, however, it houses important murals and artworks from celebrated Norwegian painters and sculptors. Here, within its stately walls, the prestigious Nobel Peace Prize ceremony is held.More

Fram Museum (Frammuseet)

This highly recognizable pyramidal structure on the Bygdøy Peninsula is dedicated to Norwegian polar exploration and houses the most famous Norwegian polar-exploration boat of all time, the icebreaker Fram, which explore polar regions from 1893 to 1912, and extraordinary features images from the daring explorations of the great Fridtjof Nansen, Otto Sverdrup and Roald Amundsen.More

Bygdøy Peninsula

Jutting out from the westxa0 side of Oslo into the Oslo Fjord, the Bygdøy Peninsula is known for its clutch of museums highlighting Norwegian culture and history of exploration. A one-stop cultural and leisure destination, the stunning area has sand beaches and hiking and cycling trails, and an organic farm at Royal Manor, the King of Norway's summer residence.More

Vigeland Sculpture Park (Vigelandsanlegget)

Comprising of more than 200 bronze, granite, and cast iron sculptures by the Norwegian sculptor Gustav Vigeland, Oslo’s Vigeland Sculpture Park is the world’s largest such complex made by a single artist. Located within Frogner Park, it is also one of Oslo’s top attractions, drawing more than a million visitors a year.More


The tiny Arctic Norwegian island of Sommaroy lures travelers with its white-sand beaches and rugged scenery. Traditionally a fishing community, red wooden buildings raised on stilts surround the harbor and small fishing boats bob in the water. It’s an easy day-trip from Tromso, but it's never crowded and so retains a laid-back atmosphere.More

Kvaloya (Sállir)

Kvaløya is Norway’s fifth-largest island, covering 740 square km (285 square miles), and its name translates from Sami to "Whale Island" thanks to its cluster of central mountains. Lying west of Tromsø and connected by the elegant spans of the Sandnessund Bridge, the eastern shores of Kvaløya now form a suburb of the city, known as Kvaløysletta and home to a population of about 10,000.Of its snow-capped peaks, Store Blåmann is the highest at 1,044 meters (3,425 feet) and can be scaled by intermediate climbers. Kvaløya is also indented by fjords and wild coastal scenery, with its western fringes hitting the untamed Atlantic, while the island of Sommarøy – famous for its glorious white sandy beaches – hangs off its southwestern coast. Humpback whales can be spotted offshore from late November until January, and the little settlement of Ersfjordbotn, dominated by the sheer cliffs of its fjord, is one of Norway’s top destinations for spotting the Northern Lights during the winter months.As well as Kvaløya’s untamed alpine beauty, there are prehistoric rock carvings to discover at Skavberg and a clutch of traditional wooden houses at Hella, which were moved there from Tromsø city center for conservation. The farm of Straumen Gård near Straumsbukta was abandoned in the 1960s and now serves as a museum, complete with tools and machinery dating from that period.More

Norwegian Mountaineering Centre (Norsk Tindesenter)

Climbing and outdoor sports enthusiasts won’t want to miss the Norwegian Mountaineering Centre (Norsk Tindesenter), housed in a striking building designed by Reiulf Ramstad Architects. Explore exhibitions on the history and development of mountaineering, then tackle Norway’s highest indoor climbing wall.More

Karl Johans Gate

Stretching from Oslo Central Station to the Royal Palace, Karl Johans Gate is Oslo’s main thoroughfare. Named after King Charles III John, the street is home to many of thexa0city’s top attractions, including the Royal Palace, Stortinget, National Theatre, Central Station alongside pubs, restaurants, and a variety of shops.More

Trip ideas

How to Spend 3 Days in Oslo

How to Spend 3 Days in Oslo

How to Spend 1 Day in Oslo

How to Spend 1 Day in Oslo

How to Spend 2 Days in Oslo

How to Spend 2 Days in Oslo

Operators have paid Viator more to have their experiences featured here

Top Destinations

Top Destinations

Recent reviews from experiences in Norway

Amazing Scenery, a full and interesting excursion
Jillian_W, Jan 2023
Arctic Fjord Sightseeing by Minibus
A great way to see more of Norway.
Getting to see Norways beauty
Elkay_J, Nov 2022
Oslo To Bergen Self-Guided Full Day Trip with Flåm Railway And Fjord Cruise
This made me fall in love wit Norway!
Norway 🇳🇴 2022
Gar208, Sep 2022
Haugesund Shore Excursion: Åkrafjorden & Langfoss waterfall
Very beautiful waterfall and drive into mountain tunnel region some of the best sights in southern Norway 🇳🇴
Definitely not a hike for...
Brooke_P, Aug 2022
Guided hike to Kjerag and Kjeragbolten
Helga was a wonderful guide and I highly recommend this tour if you came to Norway to see the fjords like myself!
Kate_R, Jan 2023
Northern Lights Hunt with The Green Adventure- max 8 people, photos included
She told us what we needed to see the lights and the plan for the night, and when she spotted Aurora activity we stopped a few times and she made sure she showed us where to look to get the most out of the experience.
Great time!!!
James_M, Jan 2023
Full-Day Northern Lights Trip from Tromsø
We really appreciated Julika's work to find us a hole in the cloud cover – while all of the weather services were predicting full cover, Julika found one prediction with a 99% chance of clouds over a particular site on the ocean… well, that 1% ended up working out, and we were able to see the lights on New Years Eve right before the year turned over!
Holly_B, Sep 2022
Oslo Discovery Tour
I would recommend for the ease of transportation, professionalism of the company and to see the major sites.
Bergen railway and fjord tour
Suzanne_H, Aug 2022
Private guided Flåm day tour - incl Premium Nærøyfjord Cruise and Flåm Railway
But we also enjoyed the fjord cruise with magnificent waterfalls.
We perform checks on reviews

All about Norway

Norwegian Krone (NOK)
Time Zone
CET (UTC +1)
Country Code
Norwegian Bokmål

Norway information

Number of Attractions


Number of Tours


Number of Reviews



Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the top things to do in Norway?
What are the top things to do near Norway?
Check out things to do near Norway:
What do I need to know before visiting Norway?