The Hauptmarkt in Nuremberg, Germany is the city's main square, and it is located near the Frauenkirche, the Church of Our Lady. Crowds gather here at noon to witness the clock's figures performing Männleinlaufen, or Little Men Dancing, up in the clock tower. One of the main features of the square is the Schönen Brunnen fountain with intricately detailed sculptures carved onto the sides. The church and the fountain were built in the 14th century and are important pieces of the square, although the fountain you see today is a replica. The original is held in the German National Museum for safekeeping.
This is the city's main outdoor market where you can find fruit, vegetables, meats, cheeses, bread, flowers, crafts, and other local goods. Several cafes and restaurants are located on and near the square, and several pedestrian streets lined with stores connect with the square, making this a nice area to go shopping. In December you'll find Christmas markets set up in this square.
Browse. Filter. Book
What's the best way to experience Hauptmarkt?
- Private Tour: Nuremberg Medieval Old Town and Nazi Rally Grounds Walking Tour
- Private Tour: Nuremberg Sightseeing Including Old Town, Rally Grounds and Nuremberg Courthouse
- The Instagrammable Places of Nuremberg with a Local
- Nuremberg Old Town and Nazi Party Rally Grounds Walking Tour
Things to do near Nuremberg
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Things to do in Regensburg
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Stuttgart
- Things to do in Pilsen
- Things to do in Frankfurt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Füssen
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Things to do in Baden-Württemberg