The Cosme Velho neighborhood is best known as the jumping-off point to ascend Corcovado Mountain to Christ the Redeemer. Most visitors to Rio will set foot in this small, historic area on their way to the city’s most iconic attraction, but it’s worth it to explore beyond that. From shady plazas overgrown with jungle to colonial architecture, Cosme Velho offers a taste of Rio’s old-time charm. The neighborhood’s principal street, Rua Cosme Velho, snakes up into the hilly area and to ‘Estação de Ferro do Corcovado,’ where visitors catch the funicular to the Christ Statue. Beyond the station, the neighborhood becomes mostly residential and continues way up the hill into the rain forest.
While in Cosme Velho, before or after seeing the Christ, allot some time to roam the winding, leafy avenues with quaint shops, or grab something to eat in one of the many open-air cafes. Just across the street and a few yards up from the funicular station lies Boticário Square (Largo do Boticário). This plaza of early 19th-century Portuguese buildings has fallen into disrepair, but the brightly colored colonial structures set among the rain forest scenery retain the square’s original charm. Art-lovers can head to the International Museum of Naïf Art just down the road from the station, where they’ll find a small colonial-era building housing an impressive collection of 6,000 paintings from 120 different countries, which focus on struggle and marginalized populations.
Browse. Filter. Book
What's the best way to experience Cosme Velho?
- Full Day Sugar Loaf, Maracanã including Skip the Line Christ Redeemer By Train
- Skip The Line to Christ Redeemer By Train with Maracanã Stadium
- Rio Shore Excursion: Skip the Line Christ Redeemer and Sugar Loaf Day Tour
- Rio Shore Excursion: Skip The Line to Christ Redeemer by Train Half-Day Tour
Things to do near Rio de Janeiro
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Ilha Grande
- Things to do in Búzios
- Things to do in Paraty
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in Sao Paulo
- Things to do in Curitiba
- Things to do in Balneario Camboriu
- Things to do in South Brazil
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in Florianopolis
- Things to do in Porto Seguro
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina