Búzios Day Trips from Rio de Janeiro
Boasting upwards of 20 beaches with tranquil waters for swimming and boating, Armação dos Búzios has earned its reputation as one of Brazil’s finest beach resorts. Situated on a scenic peninsula, Búzios is a popular getaway from Rio de Janeiro due to its proximity, charm, and tropical climate. Here are a few highlights.
- Stroll the cobblestone Rua das Pedras walkway in downtown Búzios, which is lined with chic boutiques, trendy nightclubs, and sophisticated restaurants.
- Snap photos of colorful fishing boats and bronze sculptures at Orla Bardot, a boardwalk named for the French actress who made the town famous.
- Go snorkeling or kayaking along the shorelines of Praia dos Ossos, João Fernandes Beach, Azeda Beach, and Brava Beach.
- Explore the city’s beaches and offshore islands during a sightseeing cruise by sailboat or schooner.
- Take a seat at Praça dos Ossos with an ice cream and enjoy the lazy atmosphere while people-watching in the square.
- Trace centuries of the slave trade and pirate history on a walking or boating tour.
Things to Know
- Búzios is 110 miles (176 kilometers) east of Rio, a drive of about 3 hours via BR-101 and RJ-124.
- Day tours from Rio typically last 10–14 hours, including travel time.
- Tours usually start and end at selected hotels in Rio’s South Zone (Zona Sul), which includes Copacabana, Leme, Ipanema, Leblon, Botafogo, and Flamengo.