Founded in 1808 by D. João VI, the Botanical Garden is an important touristic side of the city and so much visited by researchers who study the hundreds species that are there. With total area of 137 hectares, being 54 of acreage, the Botanical Garden houses rare collections of bromeliads and orchids, as well as old trees and exotic plants. The Garden also has constructions in the beginning of the century XVI, saving a rich historical and cultural heritage. Between the monuments, we highlight the Eco and Narciso de mestre Valentim statues, the portal of the Academy of Fine Arts, projected by Grandjean de Montigny, and the Japonese Garden, created in 1935, from the donation of 65 species of tipical Japanese plants. The Park also is an excellent place to observe the birds, because there are more than hundred different species in the crowns and trunks of their trees.