Church of San Francisco (Iglesia de San Francisco)
Originally constructed in the 1500s, Iglesia de San Francisco, today, has mostly been reconstructed, thanks to age and earthquake damage. However, that's not the draw to this attraction. Both locals and visitors come to this old, baroque church to visit the shrine of Peter of Saint Joseph Betancur (Santo Hermano Pedro de San Jose de Betancurt). A Franciscan monk, he founded a hospital for the poor in town and is the country's most honored Christian leader.
Beatified in 1980 and made a saint in 2002 when Pope John Paul II visited Guatemala, Peter of Saint Joseph's tomb is visited by thousands each year asking for favors and miracles.
However, make no mistake, this church - which is one of the oldest in town - is still a work of beauty. It features 16 vaulted niches, a bell and clock tower from the 17th and 19th centuries and work from famed artists. Throughout history, the church has also been home to places such as a hospital and printing press.
Browse. Filter. Book
What are Church of San Francisco (Iglesia de San Francisco) hours of operation?
What's the best way to experience Church of San Francisco (Iglesia de San Francisco)?
- Antigua Guatemala City Tour
- Iximché Ruins and Antigua City Tour
- Private Antigua Guatemala Walking Tour
- Antigua City Sightseeing Tour
Things to do near Antigua
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Puerto Quetzal
- Things to do in Quetzaltenango
- Things to do in Santa Ana
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in La Libertad
- Things to do in Flores
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands