China’s Sichuan Province is most famous for its fiery cuisine and endearing giant pandas, but it also has a distinctive cultural heritage and performing arts scene. Here’s what you need to know about seeing a show in Chengdu, Sichuan’s capital city.
- Laugh out loud during a traditional Sichuan opera performance, which typically recounts a comedic folktale.
- See firsthand the Sichuan art of face changing: a theatrical trick dating back thousands of years.
- Most performances include singing, drumming, acrobatics, and elaborate costume changes.
- Make the most of your time in Chengdu by combining a night of Sichuan opera with a visit to the Giant Buddha or Panda Base and a hot pot dinner.
- Expect most performances to last around 90 minutes.
- Most cultural show tours include hotel transfers in Chengdu.