With a legacy dating back to 1824, Cascade Brewery is Australia’s oldest continually operating brewery, founded by English settler Peter Degraves. The historic brewery, set in Hobart at the foot of Mount Wellington, welcomes guests to its brewhouse and restaurant, and offers tours and tastings.
Beer lovers can peek behind-the-scenes and discover the beer-making process on a guided brewery tour, or take part in a Cascade Beer School workshop and learn more about its historic brews. You can also sample the full range of Cascade beers and ciders, and tuck into delicious seasonal cuisine, at the Brewhouse. Thanks to its strategic location by Mount Wellington, the brewery is also popular with hikers seeking an ideal pre- or post-hike lunch destination.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Cascade Brewery is a must-do for beer lovers.
- Brewery tours are open to guests aged 16 and older, tastings are for those at least 18 years old, and the Cascade Beer School is open to all ages.
- Brewery tours take 1.5 hours including tasting; Cascade Beer School workshops last 30 minutes.
- Brewery tour participants must be covered from the waist down, and shoes must be flat and closed-toe.
- Numbers are limited for brewery tours, so it’s recommended to book in advance, especially in peak season.
- The Brewhouse is accessible to wheelchair users, but due to stairs, the brewery tour is not.
How to Get There
Cascade Brewery is located at the foot of Mount Wellington in South Hobart, about a 10-minute drive from downtown. Buses from central Hobart stop close to the brewery; you can also catch a taxi.
When to Get There
Cascade Brewery is open 10am to 5pm daily year-round except Christmas and Good Friday. The busiest time of year is during the summer months of January and February, when it’s recommended to book tours and tastings well in advance.
Cascade Brewery Beers
Cascade’s beers are brewed on-site using Tasmanian-grown hops and barley, and water sourced from Mount Wellington. Popular brews include Cascade Pale Ale, the original Cascade beer; Cascade Premium Light, the top-selling light beer in Australia; and Cascade Draught, Cascade Bitter, and Cascade Lager. The brewery also produces a range of Mercury Ciders.