Podgorze is a district of Krakow on the southern bank of the Vistula River and at the base of Lasota Hill. It was originally a separate city, but in 1915, as the Austro-Hungarian Empire was beginning to collapse, the town was combined with Krakow. The neighborhood was home to a large Jewish population, and thousands of its residents were sent to concentration camps during World War II. Several signs of the neighborhood's past can still be found here. One significant memorial is Plac Bohaterow Getta (Ghetto Heroes Square), a monument using large metal chairs that commemorates the heroes of the ghetto and the victims of the Holocaust. This is where many waited to board trains that took them to Auschwitz and Birkenau concentration camps.
There are several other memorials including Eagle Pharmacy and Plaszow Camp Memorial. Schindler's Factory, which is now a museum, is also located in this district. This is the factory the movie Schindler's List was based on. There are also several museums, galleries, parks and squares in this neighborhood.
Tours and tickets to Experience Podgórze
Should I book Podgórze tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Podgórze 2021?
What's the best way to experience Podgórze ?
- Krakow City Tour of Jewish Quarter and Former Ghetto
- Krakow City Sightseeing Private Tour by Eco Friendly Electric Car With Audio Guide
- Full Tour- Old Town + Kazimierz + Podgórze ( Ghetto, Schindler)
- Hop on Hop off Kracow Sightseeing Tour
Things to do near Krakow
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Lviv
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Dragomiresti
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Pilsen
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Western Romania
- Things to do in Upper Austria