Springtime in New Zealand is all about variety—soak up the sunshine at the beach, explore the country’s many hiking trails, sample seasonal delicacies at a food festival, or even hit the ski slopes on the South Island. Here’s what you need to know.
- Take in the highlights of the North Island with a tour of Hobbiton, Rotorua, and Waitomo Caves from Auckland.
- Discover New Zealand’s Maori heritage with a visit to the Waitangi Treaty Grounds, then enjoy swimming, snorkeling, and water sports around the Bay of Islands.
- Get your adrenaline pumping with outdoor activities such as ziplining on Waiheke Island, jet boating in the Mount Aspiring National Park, or white-water rafting along the Kawarau River.
- Take a scenic flight over Fiordland National Park, then cruise across the UNESCO World Heritage–listed Milford Sound on a tour from Queenstown.
- Set sail on a dolphin- or whale-watching cruise around Auckland.
- Enjoy a helicopter flight or glacier walk across the Franz Josef glacier.