Discover the coastal splendor of the Costa Brava region on a full-day trip to Girona and Calella de Palafrugell from Barcelona. Travel through the scenic Catalan countryside, and discover the atmospheric streets of Girona’s medieval Old Town. Admire the flagrant fortresses of Pals, absorb the seaside charm of rural fishing village, Calella de Palafrugell, and admire the dramatic landscapes of Begur, the former home of an ancient castle. Receive personalized attention from your guide on this small-group tour.
Girona and Costa Brava tour from Barcelona
Visit the rural fishing village, Calella de Palafrugell
Climb aboard a comfortable, air-conditioned vehicle at a centrally located pickup point in Barcelona, and admire the picturesque Catalan countryside as you travel toward your fist stop, the ancient city of Girona. Listen as your guide regales you with tales dating back to Girona’s 76 BC origin, and then embark on a tour of the medieval metropolis’ rich architectural tableau. During some leisurely free time, see the great Cathedral, founded in 1038 on the site of a former Mosque, admire the spectacular Roman walls that defended the city from attackers, or travel back in time at one of Girona’s comprehensive museums. Return to the vehicle and then head to Pals, a small city that grew from the foreboding fortress at its center. Continue to the charming fishing village of Calella de Palafrugell, and gaze at the dramatic hillside scenery as you travel past Begur, site of ancient castle ruins. On arrival in Calella de Palafrugell, relish the picturesque tableau of whitewashed houses and pristine sandy beaches, and set off to explore the rugged coastline. Sink your toes into the soft sands of the beach, take a dip in the refreshing waters of the ocean, or absorb the botanical beauty of the cliff top gardens at Cap Roig. Reconvene with your guide and group at a prearranged time, and relax during the journey back to Barcelona, where your tour concludes.
I thoroughly enjoyed this tour. Your three stops are Pals, a small medieval village that still acts and looks like a small, medieval village; Palafrugell, which is a beach of the Costa Brava coastline; and Girona a city with lots of history.
1. Pals is great. We did this visit in about 50 minutes. I thoroughly enjoyed visiting this quaint city.
2. If Miguel is your tour guide, then you will love this! He does a great job with the history of the area and giving his commentary. I highly recommend this tour because of him.
3. Costa Brava is great. If you are looking for a typical Mediterranean Sea trip, this is it. You get roughly 2 hours to be at the beach and eat. Try to make a reservation BEFORE you get there or else you will be eating gelato out of a stall instead of an actual meal.
4. Public Bathrooms. At all of the stops, you are shown a series of public bathrooms. I really appreciated this. As you know, it is very difficult within the city to find any sort of bathroom!!
1. Girona. 1 hour is not enough time. And if people are late to your meeting point in Palafrugell, which they inevitably will be, you will have even less time.
2. This is not what I would consider a "small group" tour. There were 25 people on this tour, the bus was packed and cramped and I would have enjoyed it much more if there were a 20 people max limit. (And I know that the company is trying to fill a bus, make $$, etc. This is just my opinion on how the tour could be better.)
3. I would have loved a GUIDED tour of Girona. Especially with Miguel. I'm sure he has LOTS of information about this city that we did not get to hear.
If I could give one tip, it would be to make this two separate tours. One tour for Girona, Pals, and maybe a 3rd unique city. And one trip to be Costa Brava & Pals. I think you would get better reviews and people would enjoy it more.
Overall, I loved this trip. I would definitely try to come back to Girona to see it thoroughly. But, if you are looking for a sample of everything Catalunya has to offer, then I would recommend this trip.
I would say an excellent and memorable trip. Our guide Rodrego (wants to be called Rod), ensured we are engaged always and took good care of us. Especially Costa Brava is never miss in summer times.It has stunning views and nice beaches. Covering 3 places in one day in a summer day would be little tiring, but worth it!!!
This tour was great! Our tour guide, Jordi, was very knowledgeable and friendly. Pals, Calella, and Girona are all beautiful in different ways, and the actual bus ride is nice too because you can see the Catalan countryside. The meeting point was easy to find and the office staff there were kind too. I don't know when I'll be in Catalonia again, but I would absolutely take another tour with Jordi.
Tour was amazing! Xavier, our tour guide was informative and funny. We visited Pals, Costa Brava, and Girona; each was very different and all worth this one day trip. So much to see and enough time to enjoy each place.
Girona and Costa Brava were indeed beautiful! Wish they had skipped the Pals visit and give more time in Girona.
Our guide Lorea was very knowledgeable and well organized!
Overall a good tour.
Expect a larger group though... instead of 8 people, we were 21.
Highly recommend this tour if you want to get out of Barcelona city. We had Cam as our tour guide and he was great! Was about 20 people all up on tour and he interacted well with us all and was very informative. First stop was a village called Pals then we went to Costa Brava for lunch and a swim with 2 hours free time, such a gorgeous little beachside town. The tour ended at Girona. The tour starts at 8.30am and you get back around 7pm so it’s a big day with about 1.5 hours travel each way but it is well worth it. All stops were beautiful and I’m so glad we did it!
This is a FULL day where you will spend about 4 hours of it riding in a van. We left at 8:30 am and returned to Barcelona by 7:00 pm. To see Costa Brava makes it worth it, the area is breathtakingly beautiful. Lunch by the sea is very special. You will see 3 areas, the Medieval city of Pals, Costa Brava, and Girona where Game of Thrones was filmed during Season 6. Our guide, Matteo seemed impatient at times, but he was a very good driver.