With its long sandy beaches and shallow waters, Frangokastello beach is among the island’s most popular, and the sleepy seaside resort has retained its tranquil, laid-back vibe despite the influx of tourists. Frangokastello has everything you would expect from a Crete beach resort—swaths of white sand surrounded by towering dunes, rocky coves ideal for snorkeling and fishing, and crashing waves that offer ample opportunities for water sports.
The star attraction of Frangokastello though, is its eponymous fortress, a striking Venetian castle that dates back to 1371 and looks out over the beach from its cliff-top perch. Visitors can walk up to the castle from the beach and explore the ruins, but be warned – legend has it that the castle is haunted by the ghosts of independence fighter Hadzi Michali Daliani and his soldiers, who were killed in the castle in 1828.
Should I book Frangokastello Beach tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Frangokastello Beach 2021?
What's the best way to experience Frangokastello Beach?
- All inclusive full day trip to Sfakia-Frangokastello-Imbros Gorge-Vrysses-Group
- Hike Imbros gorge and visit a winery or Frangokastello beach
- Cretan View - The "North-South Tour" 4x4 excursion around western Crete
Things to do near Crete
- Things to do in Heraklion
- Things to do in Cyclades Islands
- Things to do in Dodecanese
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- Things to do in Santorini
- Things to do in Ios
- Things to do in Kos
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Athens
- Things to do in Turkish Riviera
- Things to do in Western Anatolia
- Things to do in Macedonia
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Puglia
- Things to do in Adriatic Coast