Gothenburg’s famous Slottsskogen Park contains 137 acres of woodland, open spaces, jogging trails and penguins right in the heart of the city. That’s right, penguins. At 2:30pm every day, you can even see the birds being fed at the lake they share with a group of clapping seals.
Throughout Slottsskogen Park there are open paddocks where you can see Swedish animals like elk, deer, and Gotland ponies. This is a park that doubles as a zoo -- the oldest one in Sweden. There’s also a children’s petting zoo, open in summer, where kids can get to know the park piglets, rabbits, and kid goats. It’s also fun to see the Swedish heritage area with small cottages from different regions.
Once used as deer hunting grounds, Slottsskogen has been a protected park since 1874. Wander the forest trail in late summer, past native beech, maple, and oak trees, and look out for wild strawberries and blueberries -- the perfect trail mix -- right at your feet. Or just relax at one of the park’s three cafés.
Slottsskogen is also home to the Way Out West festival every August, when major acts like Röyksopp and Robyn come to town. You may also see the Göteborg Symphony Orchestra playing a free outdoor concert. Sweden’s Midsummer celebration is another popular time to visit Slottsskogen, when families and friends come to picnic under the midnight sun.
Slottsskogen Park is always open and its zoo is free. The petting zoo is open May-Aug. To get to the park from Kungsportsavenyn, take tram 1, 5, or 7 and hop off at the Botaniska Tradgarden stop.
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Malmö
- Things to do in Oslo
- Things to do in Stavanger
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in Bergen
- Things to do in Bremen
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Gothenburg Botanical Garden (Botaniska Tradgarden)
- Feskekorka Market
- Saluhallen Market
- Avenyn (Kungsportsavenyn)
- Gustaf Adolf Square (Gustav Adolfs Torg)
- Maritiman Maritime Museum
- Liseberg Amusement Park
- Gothenburg Garden Society (Tradgardsforeningen)
- Gothenburg Opera House (Goteborgsoperan)
- Lilla Bommen (Gothenburg Harbor)
- Barken Viking Boat Hotel
- Nya Älvsborg Fortress
- Volvo Museum