Spread over 8,000 square meters on the Gothenburg island of Hisingen, the Volvo Museum takes you from the company’s beginnings in Gothenburg in 1927, to its status today as a world-renowned vehicle manufacturer. You’ll see over 100 vehicles from the Volvo range, from the very first ÖV 4 car, to trucks, marine engines, aircrafts and today’s concept vehicles.
Of interest to anyone who’s curious about cars, engineering, and technology, on a visit to the modern museum you’ll learn all about the history of one of Sweden’s most-loved brands, and you’ll even see founders Gabrielsson and Larson’s joint desk from the early years, as well as displays of Volvo Aero and Volvo Penta products.
Once you’ve seen both floors of the museum and had your fill of sitting in and learning about the gleaming cars and trucks, it’s popular to take a walk along the seashore just west of the museum. At the entrance to the Volvo Museum there’s a café, souvenir store with exclusive Volvo merchandise and children’s playground.
In the Arendal district of Gothenburg, the Volvo Museum is open from 10am - 5pm, Monday to Friday, and from 11am - 4.45 on weekends. Adult tickets cost 60 SEK. Located 10km west of Gothenburg’s downtown, the nearest bus stop is Arendal Skans, which you can get to on bus 32 towards Volvo Torslanda.
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Malmö
- Things to do in Oslo
- Things to do in Stavanger
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in Bergen
- Things to do in Bremen
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Southern Gothenburg Archipelago
- Nya Älvsborg Fortress
- Slottsskogen Park
- Gothenburg Botanical Garden (Botaniska Tradgarden)
- Feskekorka Market
- Maritiman Maritime Museum
- Gothenburg Opera House (Goteborgsoperan)
- Gustaf Adolf Square (Gustav Adolfs Torg)
- Saluhallen Market
- Barken Viking Boat Hotel
- Lilla Bommen (Gothenburg Harbor)
- Avenyn (Kungsportsavenyn)
- Gothenburg Garden Society (Tradgardsforeningen)